Our potty training journey began about a year ago when the boys started letting us know when they needed a clean diaper. We bought a couple of potties, thinking they'd be interested in using them. Wrong! We tried again and again with no luck, so just decided to wait for more signs that the boys were ready to be trained.
Over the course of the last year, we've tried every once in a while to reintroduce the potty. The boys have shown resistance each time so we've tried not to push it. Most of the articles we've read on the subject say that kids will train when they're ready. Recently I was in Wal-Mart with the boys and happened to see some Thomas the Tank Engine underwear. That sparked their interest! We got the underwear and tried to put it on them Thursday evening but they did not want any part of it!
Yesterday morning, we put them in the underwear (even though they complained) and had a couple of accidents, but I'm proud to report that both boys used the potty twice! Finally, a breakthrough!
Jeremy got them some star stickers and made them this chart for our refrigerator two or three months ago, hoping that getting a star for using the potty would encourage them. He gave them each one star to start (the other two are for using the potty twice yesterday). As you can see, the boys wanted to reward Jeremy when he used the potty too!
We haven't been as successful today. We've had one accident and both boys have begged for diapers. I think this is going to be a long endeavor...
I bought some Pull-Ups and some more underwear at Target today, hoping this will encourage them some more. Ian has been begging for Big Bird underwear. I found some Sesame Street underwear - Big Bird wasn't in the pack, but hopefully Ian will be OK with Elmo and Cookie Monster!
There's plenty more to come on this subject, I'm sure!
Saturday, October 17, 2009
The Potty Project
Posted by Amy at 2:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment