Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gingerbread houses

We've been reading Christmas stories each night before bedtime, and one of the boys' favorites is Gingerbread Baby. Since they enjoy this story so much, I thought it would be fun to make a gingerbread house. I bought a kit at Michaels since this was my first time making a gingerbread house. I put the house together yesterday morning so that it would be dry and ready to decorate last night.

The boys were so excited to help but we found out very quickly that the process was extremely tedious. Ian and Brady helped me with the front door and then went to play in the other room!

Here, they're helping me apply the garland to the door.

I got the front of the house finished before the boys went to bed, then finished the rest of the house after they went to sleep. It took a total of two and a half hours to decorate the house! By that time, I was very tired and never wanted to see another gingerbread house!

This morning, the boys woke up and came downstairs. I covered the house last night before I went to bed, and they immediately noticed and asked if I finished the decorations. They climbed on their stepstools and waited anxiously. When I uncovered the house, they clapped their hands and literally squealed with delight. At that point I decided it was well worth the time spent! :)

They were so excited! I kept hearing things like "Those are bushes!" and "It has yellow and green and blue!"

Here they are with the house:

The front of the house:
Side view:
A few minutes later, the boys went into the family room to play. I overheard Ian saying "Let's build a gingerbread house. It will be beautiful." When I walked in, they had built a house out of pillows and blankets. They informed me that this was their bunny house and it would keep them warm and toasty. Ian gave Brady a "hat" and then put one on his own head.
Ian was a little camera shy.
He finally showed me his grin!

0 comments: